Special Meeting of the Parish Council
You are summoned to attend a special meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council, to be held on Wednesday July 17th, 2019 at Broughton Parish Rooms, immediately after the Council meeting and preceding a meeting of the Planning Committee.
1. Attendees and Apologies
2. To accept Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests relating to items on the agenda
3. To discuss the Councils powers to award the status – Freeman of the Parish of Eccleshall
4. To resolve to introduce the status of Freeman of the Parish of Eccleshall (2/3 majority required). Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction Act 2009.
5. To agree the format this status will take
6. To discuss nominations for the position
7. Meeting close
Considerations for this are likely to be:
• Should be awarded in recognition of exceptional contribution or service to the community over a prolonged period of time to a person of distinction
• Can be awarded to any resident of the Parish, or person outside the Parish, who renders an identifiable and consistent contribution/service to the Parish of Eccleshall
• Can be proposed by any resident in the Parish or by Parish Councillors
• Parish Councillors will have absolute discretion regarding who receives an award
• It is not necessary to award if no-one is proposed and it is not a requirement that anyone is appointed even if proposed
This would be an award, solely in the gift of the Council and confers no material honours or special privileges nor does it entitle the person to participate in the proceedings of the Council meetings or in any ceremonial events. It is purely and simply awarded for merit.
S. J. Worden……
Clerk to the council – 11/07/2019
A special meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council was held on July 17th, 2019 at Broughton Parish Rooms at 9.55pm. This meeting was followed by a meeting of the Planning Committee at 10.05pm.
123/19). Present were:–
Councillor P. Jones (Chairman); Councillor R. Langford
Councillor R. Taylor; Councillor E. Amos
Councillor P. Edwards; Councillor C. Marshall
Councillor J. Jones; Councillor P. Stenning
Councillor M. Watson; Councillor L. Dale
Councillor B. Delanchy
Mrs S.J. Worden (Clerk)
2 members of the public
Apologies were received and accepted from Councillors Leather and Mifflin.
124/19). To consider Declarations of Interest and Councillor requests for dispensation relating to items on the agenda.
There were no requests to receive, and one declaration of personal interest was made due to one of the Councillors also being a nominee. The Councillor will not participate in the vote to approve.
125/19). To discuss the councils power to award the statusHonorary Freeman or Honorary Freewoman:-
Under the Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction Act 2009, Parish Councils now have the power to award the Freedom of the Parish.
126/19). To resolve to introduce the status of Freeman of the Parish of Eccleshall (2/3 majority required).
Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction Act 2009.:- The Council resolved unanimously in favour of introducing the status
127/19). To agree the format this status will take:-
It was decided that the freemen/women would be presented with a framed certificate at the next Civic Service on October 27th at 10am. The cost for 5 certficates will be £33 and approximately £110 plus VAT for the frames. This was approved by the Council.
128/19). To discuss nominations for the position:-
Following a discussion it was agreed to award the status of honorary freeman to the following:
Phil Baskerville – for his long standing involvement with the Ecclian Society and Eccleshall in Bloom, and 22 years as a Parish Councillor and Chair of Enhancements Committee.
Gordon Dale – for his service as Chairman of the Parish Council for 17 years and involvement in bringing many projects to fruition including the Millennium Clock and Village Sign. Also for his ongoing work with Eccleshall Community Centre.
Graham Garner – for services to the Parish Council . He took over as chair in a very difficult time and provided excellent leadership, and also for his involvement in many key works in the last 3 or 4 years.
Bev Thompson – for his many years of voluntary work in maintaining the open space areas by the toilets and the Stone Road.
Martin Watson – For his work setting up Eccleshall First Responders and ongoing role as co-ordinator.
129/19). Meeting Close:-
There being no further business, the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 10.03pm.