Policy and Resources Committee Meeting
POLICY AND RESOURCES COMMITTEE AGENDA
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council Policy and Resources Committee will be held on Wednesday 2nd March, 2022, Eccleshall Community Centre, after the meeting of the planning committee.
2. To approve the minutes of the last meeting on December 1st, 2021
3. Matters arising from minutes
4. Budget update 2021/22 and to consider and approve virements.
5. To review the budget for 2022/23 based on updated expenditure and approve the proposed earmarking.
6. To review the NatWest Community Banking online access to consider if it is fit for purpose.
7. To consider the Business Plan and any review requirements
8. Consideration of Grant Requests:-
- Eccleshall Festival
9. Items for next meeting
10. Date of next meeting
S. J. Worden………
Clerk to the Council – 24/02/2022
Draft – subject to approval
ECCLESHALL PARISH COUNCIL – POLICY AND RESOURCES COMMITTEE – Wednesday, March 2nd 2022
A meeting of the Policy and Resources Committee was held on Wednesday, March 2nd 2022, following the planning committee meeting, at 7.40pm.
1). Present were:-
Councillor P. Jones (Chair) Councillor L. Dale
Councillor J. Jones Councillor C. Wilkins
Councillor G. Dale Councillor R. Taylor
Councillor A. Reid
Observer: Cllr. D. Hill
Mrs S. J. Worden (Clerk)
No members of the Public
1). Apologies:- Apologies were received from Cllrs. Amos and Perren.
2). Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday December 1st 2021:-
The minutes, which had previously been noted by the Council, were agreed and signed.
3). Matters arising from minutes
There were no matters arising
4). Budget update 2021/22 and to consider and approve virements :-
Prior to the meeting, the Clerk circulated an updated report detailing balances and expenditure to date against the budget, with an estimated year end position based on planned upcoming expenditure.
This report was accepted by members.
It was resolved to recommend approval of the following virements:
- £4420 from Projects (4600) to Health and Wellbeing (4615) for outdoor gym
- £2000 from TM other projects (4635) to Health and Wellbeing (4615) for outdoor gym
- £1000 from TM other projects (4635) to Repairs (4355) for Ash Tree removal
Virements previously approved in September 2021 were also noted as follows:
- £3,000 from Bus Subsidy (4300) to Jubilee Events (4800), as per agreed budget.
- £1,000 from Traffic Management other (4635) to Jubilee Events (4800), as per agreed budget.
5). To review the budget for 2022/23 based on updated expenditure and approve the proposed earmarking
Members discussed the updated budget, which was circulated for review prior to the meeting. Main changes included the movement of the outdoor gym expenditure into the current years expenditure. The updated budget of £104,138.00 was now in line with last years budget. It was noted there is still an expected underspend for the current year, which can inform the planning of the following years budget to ensure projections closer match actual expenditure.
It was resolved to recommend approval of the final budget for 2022/23.
It was resolved to recommend approval of the following earmarking:
- £98 – to Croxton Play Area (unspent budget)
- £2,000 – to Allotments (rents and general reserves)
- £660 – Elections (accumulated reserves)
- £2,000 – Beech Road/Youth Projects
- £1,000 – to Community Centre (general reserves)
This will bring total earmarked reserves up to an estimated figure of £58,646.61 (subject to outstanding expenditure, which will temporarily increase if expenditure delayed until the next financial year).
6). To review the NatWest Community Banking online access to consider if it is fit for purpose
The Clerk provided an update on the provision. The application was delayed whilst NatWest updated their community online banking scheme but the Council has now been registered on the system. Unfortunately the available access options for users no longer match the requirements of the Council. The level of access granted to signatories in order to authorise payments includes additional access that does not fall in line with our financial risk assessments and auditor recommendations. The Committee agreed that this will no longer be suitable and to consider accounts offered by other banks. It was resolved to defer this review until June 2022 as the Clerk is aware of a number of current customer service issues with other providers due to absence levels and the number of bank transfers being undertaken which is expected to resolve.
7). To consider the Business Plan and any review requirements
It was resolved to recommend:
- The working group to review the current plan, aligning it with the work of the Council over the last year and highlight any variances, so this can be explained and discussed at the public meeting in May.
- To use the public meeting as an opportunity to obtain feedback and further ideas for consideration in future planning, in addition to the blue sky thinking projects raised by the Council.
- To review the Business Plan after this date so it is fit for purpose and can be used to feed into the budget planning process in advance of the draft budget proposal in December.
It was resolved to add Councillors L. Dale, P. Jones and Hill to the working group membership, which includes Cllrs. Reid and Wilkins.
8). Consideration of Grant Requests
Cllrs. L. Dale, G. Dale, P. Jones and J. Jones declared an interest in this item and did not vote.
The Committee considered the grant request received by Eccleshall Festival for £380 for hire of the sound system. This is usually covered by revenue raised from stallholders and grants, but this year there is uncertainty over whether the grants will be available, and there is potential for reduced income as some stallholders are yet to book their places.
The committee resolved to recommend approval of the grant for £380.
Members discussed whether it would be possible to donate towards a Ukrainian appeal, either via a grant or the Chairs allowance. All were in favour of this action in principle but it was agreed the Clerk needs to determine the legality of any action before proceeding.
9). Items for next meeting:-
Any items for the next meeting can be forwarded to the Clerk. Items noted included the Business Plan review and an updated online banking proposal.
10). Date of next meeting:- Wednesday 8th June 2022, following the planning committee meeting.
There being no further business, the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 8.20pm.