Parish Council Meeting
You are summoned to attend a meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council, to be held at 7.30pm on Wednesday 16th November 2022 at Eccleshall Community Centre. This will be followed by a meeting of the Planning Committee.
1. To receive and note apologies for absence
2. Declarations of Interest and Councillor requests for dispensation relating to items on the agenda
3. Public Participation
4. To approve the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on October 19th 2022
5. To receive any reports from Borough and County Councillors and police representatives
6. To consider any requests by councillors regarding committee membership
7. Committee Updates:
- No updates to report
- To note the minutes of the meeting held on the 2nd November 2022
- Update on Circular Walks project
- To consider and approve the purchase of spares for further repairs to the Croxon BT box
- To consider requesting removal of the advertising banner from the Stafford St/Stone Rd railings
Policy and Resources:
- No updates to report
- No updates to report
8. To consider the proposal to support Eccleshall Youth Engagement Project
9. To consider and approve the process for all future working party notes, with attendees listed, to be circulated by the Clerk and shared with all members as part of the monthly Clerks report
10. To provide an update to discussions with Stafford Borough Council regarding the Eagle Street Art location and to note resident correspondence regarding a willingness to provide an alternative location at Pershall Park
11. To consider approval to research and purchase an appropriate hearing loop system to improve meeting accessibility
12. To agree the cost and number of civic amenity refuse visits for 2023
13. To receive the notes from a meeting with a Forestry Commission representative on the 7th November 2022 in relation to the plan for Bishops Wood and to consider any actions arising.
14. To receive the Clerks Report, containing liaison representative updates
- To receive resident correspondence regarding EV charging points and concerns about location proposals
16. To receive the Chairman’s Report
17. Financial Matters:
- To accept the Financial report and bank reconciliation to 30th October 2022
- To approve accounts for payment November 2022
- To note the agreement of the annual NJC National Salary award for the Clerk, backdated to 1st April 2022
18. To approve delegation to the Clerk for dealing with items of emergency and payment of accounts until the next Parish Council meeting in consultation with the Chairman and Vice Chairman, in line with the temporary delegations policy
19. To request any future agenda items and confirm the date and venue for the next meeting of the Parish Council – January 18th 2023, Eccleshall Community Centre, 7.30pm
Clerk to the council – 10/11/2022
Minutes of the Meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council held on 16th NOVEMBER 2022
A meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council was held at Eccleshall Community Centre on 16th November 2022 at 7.30pm. This meeting was followed by a meeting of the Planning Committee at 8.20pm.
160/22). Present were:-
Councillor L. Dale (Chairman) Councillor J. Jones
Councillor R. Taylor Councillor S. Mifflin
Councillor G. Dale Councillor A. Reid
Councillor D. Hill Councillor S. Perren
Councillor R. Langford Councillor S. Kean
Councillor C. Ryan-Bloor
Mrs Stacey Worden (Clerk)
Two members of the public
161/22.) Apologies were received from Cllrs. Leather, Wilkins, P. Jones and Delanchy.
162/22). To consider Declarations of Interest and Councillor requests for dispensation relating to items on the agenda.
There were no requests received. Cllr. Hill noted a pecuniary interest in Planning application 22/26070/FUL to be discussed in the planning committee meeting. Cllr. Hill will not participate in the discussion or vote but is happy to answer any questions.
163/22). Public Participation:
There were two members of the public in attendance, who did not wish to speak.
164/22). To approve the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on October 19th 2022
The minutes, which had been previously circulated, were agreed and signed.
165/22). Report from the Borough Councillor, County Councillor, and police representatives
Borough and County Councillor Pert provided a verbal report. Items included:
- The Borough Council is in the process of setting fees and charges for 2023, which includes a recommendation for no increase to car parking or brown bin charges.
- Approximately 20 warm spaces have been launched across the Borough, which may increase to nearer 30, held in a range of venues and with a variety of activities offered. This is in addition to the Community Lounge warm place held at Eccleshall Library.
- Severn Trent and the County Council plan to report back on its modelling work in relation to flooding in Eccleshall Town Centre around March 2023.
- County Council investigation work along the Stafford Road near Walton confirmed significant water runoff from adjacent fields was contributing to the flooding and also identified a blocked culvert under the road, which will require significant investment to repair.
- The proposal for speed buffer towns before entry to the 30 mph town zones have been passed in law and the signs are on order.
- The annual Community Awards will take place on Thursday 24th November at Rising Brook Church.
- Improvement works to the main market square area in Stafford are due to start after Christmas.
- Traffic issues with the planned re-painting of the zebra crossing and roundabouts along Stafford St. has postponed the works and a new date is being arranged.
A question was asked about the proposed increase of Freedom Leisure fees by 17%, above current inflation. It was noted that as a separate organisation the Borough does not set the fees and the costs of running the venues have increased significantly and the increases are needed to ensure facilities will not have to close
166/22). To consider any requests by councillors regarding committee membership:
Cllr. Ryan-Bloor requested membership of the Events committee and Young Persons working group. It was resolved to approve this course of action.
167/22). Committee Updates:
- There were no updates to report.
- Minutes of the meeting held on the 2nd November were noted.
- The circular walks project is progressing well, with half the walks in draft form. They will be tested by volunteers before publishing.
- Further repairs to the Croxton BT box are required. The works will be undertaken free of charge by a volunteer. It was resolved to approve the purchase of the required replacement items plus a small number of spare glass panes at a cost of £102.59 plus VAT.
- It was resolved to approve the request to ask What’s On Eccleshall representatives to remove the advertising banner from the coach and horses railings outside the Little George.
Policy and Resources:
- No updates to report
- It was noted that the committee will be putting together an event proposal for the coronation in May 2023.
168/22). To consider a proposal to support Eccleshall Youth Engagement Project
The Council was asked to consider a proposal to fund a Youth Engagement Project, to deliver a 12-week trial activity for young people between the ages of 10-18 at Eccleshall Community Centre, for 2 hours a week, from April 2023. Funding would be a grant up to a maximum of £3000. The project would be delivered by an independent organisation, ‘Eccleshall Youth Engagement Project’, with its own constitution, membership and bank account.
The group will also look to source funding from other grant awarding bodies which may decrease the final required amount.
It was resolved to approve the proposal and provide up to £3000 from next year’s budget to support the project.
169/22) To consider and approve the process for all future working party notes, with attendees listed, to be circulated by the Clerk and shared with all members as part of the monthly Clerks report.
The proposal was approved with the following amendment – that working group notes will first be received by its parent Committee/Council first, to allow discussion of any proposed actions and identify the recommendations to be taken forward by the parent committee. This avoids confusion should a working group propose actions that are not agreed by a committee. The working group notes will then be circulated with the committee minutes.
170/22). To provide an update to discussions with Stafford Borough Council regarding the Eagle Street Art location and to note resident correspondence regarding a willingness to provide an alternative location at Pershall Park.
Cllr. G. Dale advised the proposal for siting the Eagle on the open space located by the Stone Road roundabout will be brought to the next relevant Borough Council cabinet for consideration.
The Parish Council noted the offer to locate the Eagle at Pershall Park. It thanks the club for its interest and will bear this option in mind should the current proposal prove unsuccessful.
171/22). To consider approval to research and purchase an appropriate hearing loop system to improve meeting accessibility
It was resolved for the Clerk to research suitable portable hearing loop systems to bring back a proposal for consideration by the Council in January.
172/22). To agree the cost and number of civic amenity refuse visits for 2023
It was resolved to approve 6 bi-monthly visits by the refuse vehicle, at a cost of £918 plus VAT.
173/22). To receive the notes from a meeting with a Forestry Commission representative on the 7th November 2022 in relation to the plan for Bishops Wood and to consider any actions arising.
The council received the meeting notes. In order to consider any further actions the clerk will contact the Forestry Commission representative to obtain their outstanding responses which include:
- Information on the restocking plans for the felled areas
- Supply of Bishops Wood volunteer contact information to pursue collaborative opportunities
- To speak to the ecology team to look for future liaison opportunities.
It was noted in the meeting that the public rights of way through the woods were not signposted and the Council could look into rectifying this. The clerk would need to liaise with the Forestry Commission so that they were aware of the signage locations to avoid knocking them down. The Clerk has contacted the County Rights of Way team and is progressing a proposal for a project to install signage which could attract County match funding. County representatives have agreed to a site meeting once potential locations have been identified.
174/22). Clerk’s report, containing liaison representative updates.
The report was received and noted.
The sad loss of Mr. Ron Milne, the Chairman of the Allotments Association, was noted and condolences will be sent to his family.
- The council received correspondence regarding EV charging points and concerns about location proposals. Since receipt of the letter Cllr. Reid has met with the resident to provide more information and to advise that any proposed actions will include a resident consultation and the resident will be kept informed.
176/22). Chairman’s Report:-
There were no items for inclusion.
177/22). Financial Matters
- To accept the Financial report and bank reconciliation to 28th October 2022:
It was resolved to accept the financial summary, which includes the bank reconciliation up to and including 28 October 2022.
- To approve accounts for payment November 2022:-
Authorisation was sought for payment of the following accounts:
|Staffing Costs (inc. backpay elements)||3,398.74||0.00||3,398.74|
|S. Worden – Expenses (cheque £126.95), balance s/o)||179.08||22.50||201.58|
|The Royal British Legion – Poppy Appeal||50.00||0.00||50.00|
|Viking Stationery – misc. stationery||92.16||18.43||110.59|
|Wicksteed Leisure Ltd – annual inspections x 3 locations||270.00||54.00||324.00|
|Creative Copy n Colour Ltd – Winter newsletter||604.00||0.00||604.00|
|Mr. Peter Thompson – newsletter deliveries||232.50||0.00||232.50|
All were in favour and the cheques were signed accordingly.
- Implementation of the annual NJC National Salary award for the Clerk, backdated to 1st April 2022 was noted.
178/22). To approve delegation to the Clerk for dealing with items of emergency and payment of accounts until the next Parish Council meeting in consultation with the Chairman and Vice Chairman, in line with the temporary delegations policy
It was resolved to approve this course of action.
179/22). Items / Date and Venue for next meeting:-
The next meeting of the Parish Council is scheduled for 18th January 2023, Eccleshall Community Centre at 7.30pm. Agenda items can be forwarded to the Clerk for consideration.
There being no further business, the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 8.20pm.