Parish Council Meeting
You are summoned to attend a meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council, to be held at 7.30pm on Wednesday 19th October 2022 at Offley Hay Village Hall. This will be followed by a meeting of the Planning Committee.
Prior to commencement of the meeting, at 7pm, will be an informal presentation by a representative from ubitricity regarding EV charging points. All are welcome.
1. To receive and note apologies for absence
2. Declarations of Interest and Councillor requests for dispensation relating to items on the agenda.
3. Public Participation
4. To approve the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on September 28th 2022
5. Co-option of Councillor to Town Ward vacancy
- Signing of Declarations of Acceptance of Office and Disclosable Pecuniary & Personal Interest Forms.
6. To receive any reports from Borough and County Councillors and police representatives.
7. Committee Updates:
- To note the minutes of the meeting held on the 5th October 2022
- To approve the recommendation to write to County Cllr. Pert to request the attendance of parking enforcement officers.
- To approve the recommendation to purchase an additional speed device for the Newport Road and 3 solar panels for posts without a permanent panel.
- No updates to report
- To note the minutes of the meeting held on the 5th October 2022
- To approve the recommendation for the Ecclian Society to decorate the eyeswell BT box for the Christmas period.
Policy and Resources:
- To adopt the new Dignity at work policy (to replace the superceded Bullying and Harassment Policy) and to confirm sign up to the SLCC Civility and Dignity Pledge.
- No updates to report
8. To consider a March date for the Annual Public Forum 2023 (legal period for convening is between 1st March and 1st June), to avoid the pre-election purdah period.
9. To consider a proposal to support the project to install Electric Vehicle points in viable locations in Eccleshall where resident support is proven, which includes the following actions:
- In coordination with the County Council, select a preferred partner for Electric Vehicle (EV) points.
- In partnership with that supplier and the County Council, seek the support of residents in the immediate vicinity through a survey that meets the requirements of the relevant grant scheme and legislation.
- Hold a public meeting in a venue on the High Street in support of the survey and to approve associated costs.
- Should the residents survey show support, proceed to coordinate with the relevant organisations to set a timeline and implement the scheme.
- Report back to the council on progress
10. To receive an update on the progress of the Community Lounge project
11. To receive the Clerks Report, containing liaison representative updates.
- To receive thanks with regards to siting a memorial bench on Elford Heath
13. To receive the Chairman’s Report
14. Financial Matters:
- To accept the Financial report and bank reconciliation to 30th September 2022.
- To approve accounts for payment October 2022
- To consider approval of costs for councillor attendance at the NALC Empowering Communities event on the 7th
- Poppy sponsorship towards the town display
- To agree deferral of Clerk to attend an alternative SLCC conference in February 2023.
- To approve the costs for printing the winter newsletter
- To approve costs for Eccleshall Guide entry
15. To pass a resolution in accordance with Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 to exclude the public and press for discussion of confidential matters
- To discuss issues arising from phone box maintenance and actions required.
16. To request any future agenda items and confirm the date and venue for the next meeting of the Parish Council – 16th November 2022, Eccleshall Community Centre, 7.30pm.
Clerk to the council – 13/10/2022
Minutes of the Meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council held on 19th OCTOBER 2022
A meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council was held at Offley Hay Village Hall on 19th October 2022 at 7.30pm. This meeting was followed by a meeting of the Planning Committee at 9.15pm.
143/22). Present were:-
Councillor P. Jones (Chairman) Councillor L. Dale
Councillor R. Taylor Councillor J. Jones
Councillor G. Dale Councillor C. Wilkins
Councillor D. Hill Councillor S. Perren
Councillor R. Langford Councillor S. Kean
Councillor J. Leather Councillor A. Reid
Councillor S. Mifflin Councillor C. Ryan-Bloor (after 148/22)
Mrs Stacey Worden (Clerk)
One member of the public, plus two co-option candidates.
144/22.) Apologies were received from Cllr. Delanchy and Borough and County Councillor Pert.
145/22). To consider Declarations of Interest and Councillor requests for dispensation relating to items on the agenda.
Cllr. Mifflin advised in relation to the Meecebrook proposal that he has a relative who owns land in the area. This is not a pecuniary interest in the proposal as there is no direct benefit to Cllr. Mifflin but is noted in the interest of transparency.
146/22). Public Participation:
There was one member of the public in attendance, who did not wish to speak.
147/22). To approve the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on September 28th 2022
The minutes, which had been previously circulated, were agreed and signed.
148/22). Co-option of Councillor to Town Ward vacancy
There were two applicants for co-option to the Town Ward vacancy and each candidate gave a short presentation to the meeting and answered questions. Following a vote, Cherry Ryan-Bloor was duly co-opted to represent the Town Ward.
Cllr. P. Jones welcomed Mrs. Ryan-Bloor to the Council. Cllr. Ryan-Bloor duly signed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office and Disclosable Pecuniary & Personal Interest Forms will be completed and forwarded to the Clerk.
149/22). Report from the Borough Councillor, County Councillor, and police representatives
PCSO Higgins provided a crime statistics report prior to the meeting, which were received. Items included:
- Crime statistics from 26th September – 18th October were as follows:
- 1 x burglary
- 0 x Anti Social Behaviour
- 3 x Transport Issues
- 0 x Criminal Damage
- 1 x Violence
- 3 x Suspicious incidents
- 0 x theft
PCSO Higgins is leaving to take up a new post so other members of the Neighbourhood team will now be our primary contacts until a replacement is in post.
Cllr. P. Jones noted his upcoming Borough Council surgery on Saturday 23rd October.
150/22). Committee Updates:
- The minutes of the meeting held on the 5th October 2022 were noted.
- It was noted that enforcement officers had patrolled the High Street last week and moved those on who were parking beyond the 2 hour limit. It was resolved to write to Cllr. Pert to thank the County Council for attending and to ask if this can be on a regular basis but on different days.
- It was resolved to approve the recommendation to purchase one additional speed device kit for the Newport Road and 3 additional solar panels for posts without them in place at a cost of £3352.54 including installation.
- Taylor advised the bench to bench walks were available in the library and had been labelled to note they are all accessible walks.
- The circular walks project is being progressed.
- The minutes of the meeting held on the 5th October were noted.
- It was resolved to approve the recommendation for the Ecclian Society to decorate the Eyeswell BT box over the Christmas period.
Policy and Resources:
- It was resolved to approve adoption of the new Dignity at Work policy and to sign up to the SLCC Civility and Respect pledge.
- It was noted that the committee is expecting to plan an event in celebration for the coronation which is confirmed to be Saturday 6th May 2023.
- An update was provided on the Community Lounge. It will be open on Thursdays and Fridays from 3rd November to 3rd February 2023, 12.30-4.30pm. Volunteers are welcomed to sign up for the rota and will be asked to welcome visitors and serve drinks and biscuits. All ages are welcome and there will be a games box provided. Children will need to be accompanied by an adult. It is jointly funded by the Eccleshall Mercia Rotary Club and the Parish Council. Approaches have been made to the Borough Council and Co-op for support, however the project may not meet the Borough Council criteria which requires the serving of hot food.
151/22). To consider a date for the Annual Public Forum 2023 (legal period for convening is between 1st March and 1st June), to avoid the pre-election purdah period.
Members considered both March and May options. It was resolved to hold the forum on Wednesday May 24th May 2023.
152/22) To consider the proposal to support the project to install Electric Vehicle points in viable locations in Eccleshall where resident support is proven
The representative from ubitricity was unable to attend the meeting.
Members discussed the topic and options at length, and points included:
- The different types of charging stations available
- Potential benefits and disadvantages to residents and visitors of different locations, including High St and Castle St.
- Government criteria for currently available funding streams (on street points only at present)
- On street charging points can only be implemented with the support of the County Council
- Off street charging points could be considered by local businesses and services within their own car parks.
- The ongoing development of electric vehicles and charging point technology
- The importance of input from local residents and businesses to determine need and opinions.
It was resolved for the Sustainability and Climate Change working group to:
- Look at all the available options that are available in conjunction with the County Council in order to determine preferred options, levels of support and identify all possible locations for charging points.
- To prepare a draft public survey based on these outcomes.
- To bring back a report and draft survey for further consideration by the Council.
153/22). Progress of the Community Lounge joint project with Eccleshall Mercia Rotary Club:
Cllr. Taylor had provided a report within the Events committee update.
154/22). Clerk’s report, containing liaison representative updates.
The report was received and noted.
- Thanks were received with regards to the support provided by the Council in siting a memorial bench on Elford Heath.
156/22). Chairman’s Report:-
Cllr. P. Jones thanked all those who attended the Parish Council Civic Service on the 9th October, which included the Mayors of both Stafford and Stone, Sir Bill Cash MP and a number of Parish Councillors. He also advised of a recent meeting with representatives of Chebsey Parish Council regarding the Meecebrook proposal, with the clerk also in attendance. It was agreed it was important to keep in contact to share information as part of the consultation process.
157/22). Financial Matters
- To accept the Financial report and bank reconciliation to 30th September 2022:
It was resolved to accept the financial summary, which includes the bank reconciliation up to and including 30 September 2022.
- To approve accounts for payment October 2022:-
Authorisation was sought for payment of the following accounts:
|Staff Expenses (cheque £225.44), balance s/o)||252.29||40.18||292.47|
|Trent Grounds Maintenance – grounds maintenance||440.00||88.00||528.00|
|Perrys of Eccleshall – Watering Contract||6,412.50||0.00||6,412.50|
|Stone Town Council – fundraising night (Chairs allowance)||40.00||0.00||40.00|
|Eccleshall Parish Council – opening payment for Unity Bank Account||500.00||0.00||500.00|
|Creative Copy n Colour Ltd – Business Plans||41.00||0.00||41.00|
|Eccleshall Guide – council details information page||160.00||0.00||160.00|
All were in favour and the cheques were signed accordingly.
- It was resolved to approve the cost for councillor attendance at the NALC Empowering Communities conference on the 7th November at a cost of £128.29.
- It was resolved to approve the purchase of 2 poppies as part of the town poppy display for £6. It was noted that the WI had completed 2 poppy installations to be displayed at both St. Pauls and St. Peters churches in Croxton and will provide a photo when in place.
- It was resolved to approve the Clerk to attend the February SLCC Practitioners Conference in lieu of the previously approved attendance costs for the National Conference in November.
- It was resolved to approve the printing costs for 2500 Parish Council winter newsletters at a cost of £604.
- It was resolved to approve the cost for the Eccleshall Guide entry for £160.
158/22). To consider a confidential matter in accordance with Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 in relation to the refurbishment of the BT phone boxes.
Members considered the confidential report in relation to this item and it was resolved to approve Option A as the preferred course of action.
159/22). Items / Date and Venue for next meeting:-
The next meeting of the Parish Council is scheduled for 16th November 2022, Eccleshall Community Centre at 7.30pm. Agenda items can be forwarded to the Clerk for consideration.
There being no further business, the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 9.12pm.