Annual Meeting of the Parish Council
You are summoned to attend the Annual Meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council, to be held at 7.30pm on Wednesday May 18th 2022 at Eccleshall Community Centre.
1. To elect a Chairman and signature of declaration of office.
2. To receive apologies for absence.
3. To elect a Vice-Chairman and signature of declaration of office.
4. To consider Councillor requests for dispensations and accept Declarations of Interest relating to items on the agenda.
5. To confirm the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on April 20th 2022 and the Annual Community Forum held on 11th May 2022.
6. To appoint Committees and Liaison Representatives.
7. To consider the Council’s Deeds and Insurances
8. To review and re-adopt the following policies:
a. Complaints procedure (content unchanged, awaiting updated guidance for future update)
b. Standing Orders (minor amendments as noted separately)
c. Financial Regulations (minor amendments as noted separately)
d. Publication Scheme (content unchanged)
e. Policies, procedures and practices in respect of its obligations under freedom of information and data protection legislation. (content unchanged).
f. Financial Risk Assessment (content unchanged)
Current policies are viewable at https://eccleshallparishcouncil.co.uk/finances-and-documents/
9. Public Participation:- a period for members of the public to address the Council
10. To receive any reports from Borough and County Councillors and police representatives.
11. Committee Updates:
- No updates to report
- To note the minutes of the meeting held on 4th May 2022
- To provide an update on the Borough Council bench to bench walks project and to approve costs for printing of a parish bench walks booklet in lieu.
- To provide an update on the Circular walks project.
- To approve the areas to be tidied prior to the Jubilee that do not require additional permissions and form a working group to liaise with the Ecclian Society to progress the activity.
- To approve writing to occupiers of all properties on the High Street, Castle Street and Stafford Street requesting their support to tidy and weed frontages prior to the Jubilee celebrations.
Policy and Resources:
- No updates to report.
- To note the minutes of the committee meeting on the 4th May 2022.
- To provide an update on the Jubilee project plans
12. To remind members to review their Disclosable Interest Forms and provide an update to the Clerk if required.
13. To consider and appoint the internal auditor for the period April 1st 2022-31st March 2023.
14. To receive an update on the planned works to the water pipes at Eccleshall Allotments and to consider approval of the Allotments Association proposed course of action and associated costs.
15. To receive the Clerks Report, containing liaison representative updates.
- To consider resident correspondence asking the Parish Council to request redecoration of the public toilets by the Borough Council and concerns regarding garden vandalism
- Resident correspondence regarding various ASB incidents within the town centre area.
- To consider the correspondence received by the rural school transport action group and the request to lobby Staffordshire County Council for reinstatement of post 16 vacant seat scheme in light of the latest exemption rules.
- To receive the response from Stafford Borough Council regarding the price increase for the Bloom watering contract.
17. To receive the Chairman’s Report
A1 – To receive the Internal Audit report
A2 – To approve the Annual Governance Statement (Section 1 of the Annual Return)
A3 – To consider and approve the Accounting Statements (Section 2 of the Annual Return)
A4 – To note the date of announcement and the commencement and ending dates for the accounts public inspection period
A5 – To accept the Financial report to end April 2022.
A6 – To approve accounts for payment May 2022.
19. To request any future agenda items and confirm the date and venue for next meeting – 22nd June 2022, 7.30pm, Offley Hay Village Hall.
S. J. Worden………
Clerk to the council – 12/05/2022
Minutes of the Meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council held on MAY 18TH 2022
The Annual Meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council was held at Eccleshall Community Centre on May 18th 2022, at 7.30pm. This meeting was followed by a meeting of the Planning Committee at 8.50pm.
The meeting opened with prayers
67/22). Present were:-
Councillor P. Jones (Chairman) Councillor L. Dale
Councillor R. Taylor Councillor S. Mifflin
Councillor G. Dale Councillor B. Delanchy
Councillor A. Reid Councillor R. Langford
Councillor D. Hill Councillor S. Kean
Councillor J. Leather Councillor J. Jones
Mrs S.J. Worden (Clerk) ,
Borough and County Councillor J. Pert (from 8.10pm)
2 members of the public
68/22). To elect a Chairman and signature of declaration of office.
The outgoing chair, Cllr Peter Jones took the Chair for the election of the Chairman. There were two candidates for the Office of Chairman, Cllrs P. Jones and A. Reid. Councillor P. Jones was re-elected as Chairman for the ensuing year.
Cllr. P. Jones duly signed the declaration of office form.
Apologies were received from Councillors Amos, Wilkins and Perren.
70/22). To elect a Vice-Chairman and sign the declaration of office.
There was one candidate for the Office of Vice-Chairman. Councillor L. Dale was re-elected as Vice- Chairman for the ensuing year.
Cllr. L. Dale duly signed the declaration of office form.
71/22). To consider Councillor requests for dispensation and accept Declarations of interest relating to items on the agenda.
There were no requests to receive, and no declarations of interest were made.
72/22). To confirm the minutes of the Council Meeting held on April 20th 2022
The minutes, which had been previously circulated, were agreed and signed.
73/22). To appoint Committees and Liaison Representatives.
It was resolved to approve the current membership and liaison responsibilities as listed below:
Planning Committee All Councillors. Cllr. Delanchy (Ch), J. Jones (VC)
Traffic Management Committee Councillors L. Dale (Ch), P. Jones, J. Jones, Amos, Langford, Leather (VC), Perren, G. Dale, Wilkins, Hill and Reid.
Enhancements Committee Councillors L. Dale (Ch), P. Jones, Amos, Langford, Taylor (VC), G. Dale, Wilkins, Perren and Hill.
Policy and Resources Councillors P. Jones (Ch), Amos, J. Jones, L. Dale, Taylor, G. Dale, S. Perren (VC), C. Wilkins and Reid.
Footpaths Councillors Taylor (Ch), P. Jones, Leather, Mifflin, Wilkins (VC), Perren and Hill, together with co-opted members – Mr. N. Davenport, Mr. D. Smith, Mr. E. Ranson and Mr. Graham Cole.
Events Councillors P. Jones, J. Jones, L. Dale, G. Dale, Amos, Taylor and Hill.
Staffing Committee Councillors P. Jones, L. Dale and Delanchy.
The Chair of the Council is a member of all Council Committees.
Other responsibilities/Liaison Reps:
Croxton Playing Fields Croxton Councillors
Allotments Councillor S. Perren
Eccleshall Community Centre Councillors Amos, L. Dale and D. Hill
Parish Councils Assoc. Clerk
Parish Forum Clerk
Police Liaison Officer Clerk
Flood Action Group Councillor S. Perren
Eccleshall First Responders Clerk
Offley Hay Village Hall Clerk
Press Officer Councillor P. Jones
Visit Stafford Councillor J. Jones
Ecclian Society Councillor G. Dale
Internal Auditor Councillor S. Mifflin
Independent Internal Auditor Mr. Alan Toplis/Toplis Associates
Slindon Residents Councillor J. Leather
Children & Young Peoples Champion Councillor D. Hill
Croxton News Councillor R. Langford
Newsletter Editorial Team Councillors P. Jones, R. Langford and R. Taylor
Membership of the following working groups was confirmed as follows:
Sustainability and Climate Change (direct to Council):- Councillors Langford, Reid, Hill and non council member Mr. David Llewellyn
Jubilee (Events):- Councillors P. Jones, J. Jones, L. Dale, G. Dale, Amos, Taylor and Hill.
Business Plan (P&R):- Councillors Reid, Hill, P. Jones and Wilkins.
74/22). To consider the Council’s Deeds and Insurances
It was resolved to defer this item to the next Policy and Resources committee meeting, to allow for full consideration.
75/22). To review and re-adopt the following policies: –
The following policies were reviewed and re-adopted with any changes as noted below: –
- Complaints procedure. Unchanged. It was noted that a new model complaints procedure is imminent and will be considered in due course.
- Standing Orders. Amended with minor changes to sections 4 f), 16 b) xv), Section 18 a), Section 20 b) and c) and Section 20 k).
- Financial Regulations. Amended with minor change to Section 11 h)
- Publication Scheme. No changes required.
- Policies, procedures and practices in respect of its obligations under freedom of information and data protection legislation. No changes required.
- Financial Risk Assessment. No changes required.
76/22). Public Participation
A resident spoke in relation to the correspondence item about recent incidents of antisocial behaviour. The incidents involved the throwing of eggs at properties, and in some cases, yogurt pots and bottles. It has been reported at a number of properties, and CCTV footage has been provided to the police. The resident has been in touch with PCSO Gareth Higgins and the police are hoping to identify those responsible using the CCTV images provided. Once identified, individuals can be charged with antisocial behaviour. Members expressed concern at the incidences and noted that if this was not prioritised and the individuals apprehended it may escalate as others become involved. It was resolved for the Clerk to contact Gareth Higgins to highlight the concerns of the Council, request the current status of the investigation and lobby for action and resolution as a priority.
77/22). To receive any reports from Borough and County Councillors and police representatives.
Borough Councillor P. Jones advised he had been re-elected as deputy mayor for the upcoming year.
78/22). Committee Updates:
There were no updates to report.
- The minutes of the meeting held on 4th May 2022 were noted.
- Due to the lack of progress on the SBC doorstep walks, the original content has been used to produce a Parish Council version of the bench to bench walks, as an A5 booklet. It was resolved to approve printing of 200 copies of the booklet at a cost of £209.
- The Circular walks project is ongoing, with an aim of the autumn for the initial completion of the routes.
- It was felt that the best course of action regarding frontages on the main streets is to request support from the residents and businesses to tidy their own areas. It was noted that a number of areas identified at requiring tidying will need the Clerk to write to the owners for permission to be granted, which will not be in place prior to the Jubilee. There was no working group lead identified at this stage to liaise with the Ecclians, although it was suggested whether any tidying could take place when the baskets are erected. The Clerk was asked to log a request with BT for tiding of the frontage of the BT exchange.
- It was resolved to approve writing to occupiers of all properties on the High Street, Castle Street and Stafford Street requesting their support to tidy and weed frontages prior to the Jubilee celebrations.
Policy and Resources:
There were no updates to report.
- The minutes of the committee meeting on the 4th May 2022 were noted.
- Taylor provided an update on the Jubilee project plans and advised the Beacon tickets were sold out, there were only 9 tickets left for one of the afternoon tea sittings, and 10 tickets remaining for the evening dance. The seed packets for the school are completed and were shown to members. There will be a rehearsal for the Beacon event this Saturday.
79/22). Disclosable Interest Forms
Members were reminded to review their Disclosable Interest Forms and provide an update to the Clerk if required.
80/22). Appointment of the Internal Auditor for 2022-23.
The Council resolved to approve the re-appointment of Toplis Associates as internal auditor for the period April 1st 2022-31st March 2023.
81/22). Proposed improvements to the water supply at the Allotments, Shaws Lane
An update was received regarding the planned works to the water pipes at Eccleshall Allotments. It was resolved to approve the reimbursement of the survey fee of £186.40 paid to Severn Trent.
The Clerk has advised Mr. Jones to continue with the original works to join the current circuit to form a loop, but the earliest commencement date at present is the third week of June.
Cllr. Delanchy advised for the Allotments Association to confirm if any proposed works as a result of the survey are contestable (can be undertaken by a contractor under the Water Services Act) or uncontestable (can only be undertaken by Severn Trent) in case there is an opportunity to obtain further quotations. The Council will consider the request for a contribution to the works once quotations have been received.
82/22). To receive the Clerks Report, containing liaison representative updates.
The Clerks report was received by the Council.
83/22). Correspondence: –
- Public Toilets, Stone Road: the Parish Council has been asked to request redecoration of the public toilets by the Borough Council and concerns were also raised by the resident regarding garden vandalism. It was resolved to write to the Borough Council to request redecoration of the toilets. Councillors will inspect the toilets and advise what is required.
- ASB incidents within the town centre area: this was discussed and action brought forward and resolved in item 76/22).
- To consider the correspondence received by the rural school transport action group: The council has been asked to lobby Staffordshire County Council for reinstatement of post 16 vacant seat scheme in light of the latest exemption rules. It was resolved to approve writing to the County Council as follows:
‘This council notes the Government allows a delay to the implementation of PSVAR regulations for home-to-school transportation and asks that this exemption be requested for all routes in our parish where a student seeks to travel to school, is currently barred from doing so through County Council policy, and yet lives more than two miles from a public transport option. This would allow the County Council to charge the student a reasonable fee for the use of any spare (used) seats if available, until such a time as the vehicle is replaced with one that is PSVAR-compliant or the government exemption expires.’
- SBC Watering Quotation 2022: Members received the response from Stafford Borough Council regarding the price increase for the Bloom watering contract. The Borough Council advised that the watering tender was costed at the same price in previous years but in the past a discounted quote has subsequently been provided to the Council. The Clerk is awaiting confirmation that the annual Bloom grant is unaffected by this change.
84/22). Chairman’s Report: –
There were no updates to report.
85/22). Accounts: –
A1 – To receive the Internal Audit report. Copies of the report had been circulated to members in advance of the meeting. The report advised that there were no matters to be brought to the attention of the council. The Parish Council resolved to accept the report.
A2 – To Approve the Annual Governance Statement (Section 1 of the Annual Return). The Annual Governance Statement was considered by the Council in detail and it was resolved that all matters had been adequately complied with. The Chairman signed the form accordingly.
A3 – To consider and approve the Accounting Statements (Section 2 of the Annual Return). Copies of the statement had been circulated to members in advance of the meeting. It was resolved to approve the statement of accounts and this was signed by the Chairman.
A4 – To note the date of announcement and the commencement and ending dates for the accounts public inspection period. This was noted by the Parish Council. The period is from the 9th June to the 20th July 2022 inclusive.
A5 – To accept the Financial report to end April 2022. It was resolved to accept the Financial summary.
A6 – To approve accounts for payment May 2022:-
Authorisation was sought for payment of the following accounts:-
|Staffing Expenses (cheque £1276.23), balance s/o)||1,061.90||290.03||1,351.93|
|Eccleshall in Bloom – 4 x bloom baskets||120.00||0.00||120.00|
|The Best Fun Ltd – balance of bouncy castle payment||569.20||113.84||683.04|
|Nu Focus Education CiC – balance of payment for skate park||1,142.50||228.50||1,371.00|
|Trent Grounds Maintenance – grass cutting and tree tidying at Elford||508.25||101.65||609.90|
|Toplis Associates Ltd – audit fee||153.80||30.76||184.56|
|A.G. Jones – SIDS movement||120.00||0.00||120.00|
|The Ecclian Limited – contribution to Street Party entertainment||1,000.00||0.00||1,000.00|
|Fresh Touch – painting of Elford railings||1350.00||0.00||1,350.00|
|Mr. Peter Thompson – distribution of Jubilee programme||240.00||0.00||240.00|
|Broughton Parish Room – contribution to Afternoon tea event||285.00||0.00||285.00|
All were in favour and the cheques were signed.
86/22). Items / Date and Venue for next meeting: –
The next meeting of the Parish Council is scheduled for June 22nd, 2022, Offley Hay Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.
There being no further business, the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 8.45pm.