Footpaths Committee Meeting
FOOTPATHS COMMITTEE AGENDA
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council Footpaths Committee will be held on Wednesday 3rd May 2023, Eccleshall Community Centre, at 7pm.
2. To approve the minutes of the meetings held on February 1st 2023
3. Review of current maintenance schedule, work completed to date and any new issues to consider
4. Footpath Walks leaflets:
- To provide any update on the circular walks project
- To consider any drafts and printing costs
- To provide an update on the Bishops Wood signposting project
- To consider correspondence to landowner in relation to Footpath 111 stile and reinstatement of the stile
- To receive feedback on the current walks leaflets and any actions arising.
- To approve reprinting of bench to bench walks.
5. To provide an update regarding the proposal to increase accessibility to public rights of way by replacing stiles with gates along suitable routes.
6. Update on Keep Eccleshall Tidy Team (KETT) and ongoing concerns.
- None was received at the date the agenda was issued
8. Items for next meeting.
9. Date of next meeting – August 16th 2023, at 7pm, Eccleshall Community Centre
Clerk to the Council – 26/04/2023
ECCLESHALL PARISH COUNCIL – FOOTPATHS COMMITTEE – Wednesday, May 3rd 2023
A meeting of the Footpaths Committee was held on Wednesday, May 3rd, at 7pm at Eccleshall Community Centre.
Councillor R. Taylor (Chair) Councillor C. Wilkins
Councillor P. Jones Councillor S. Perren
Councillor S. Mifflin Councillor D. Hill
Mrs S. J. Worden (Clerk)
Observers: Cllr. A. Reid and J. Jones
Apologies were received from Cllr. Leather, Mr. Cole and Mr. Davenport. Mr. Ranson was absent.
2). To approve the minutes of the meeting held on February 1st, 2023.
The minutes, which had been previously circulated, were agreed and signed.
3). Review of current maintenance schedule, work completed to date and any new issues to consider.
The updated maintenance schedule was circulated for information prior to the meeting and works are ongoing, with the main focus on routes to be included in the Circular walks booklet. Any new issues can be forwarded to the Clerk.
4) Footpath Walks leaflets
Circular Walks Project:-
- Progress Update: All walks have been completed and proofread – walk 11 is pending some additional photographs of the Croxton wells. Footpath 95 needs a new stile and the Clerk has asked the County volunteer team for help as it is a 2 man job. It was noted that this doesn’t need to hold up the printing as a short cut can also be included that avoids the stile.
- To consider any costs and quantities required for printing. The booklet size has yet to be confirmed – a quote will be obtained and put to full council for approval once a print draft is available.
- To provide an update on the Bishops Wood signposting project. The County Rights of Way officer and the Forestry Commission have no objections to the proposed additional waymarking and the suggestion of installing an information post in Big Bishops Wood, where a number of footpaths meet and cause confusion. The County Rights of Way team are looking into the possibility of accessing funding and volunteers to complete the waymarking work themselves, but the council will need to cover the costs and installation of an information board. The Clerk will chase for a response. It was agreed that numbering the fingerposts at this junction would also help.
- To consider correspondence to landowner in relation to Footpath 111 stile and reinstatement of the stile: It was resolved to write to the landowner to thank him for his support in providing interim access via his gate and that the Council looks forward to the stile being reinstated at the earliest opportunity.
Other Walks leaflets:
- To receive feedback on the current walks leaflets and any actions arising. Members resolved to continue with the single walk leaflets at this time but noted that a number of the routes follow less used paths and are not maintained by the parish council. It was agreed to reprint the leaflets that are low/out of stock but to monitor their popularity and review at a later date.
- To approve reprinting of bench to bench walks. It was resolved to recommend reprinting of 300 copies of the Parish bench to bench walks brochure at a cost of £312.
5). To provide any updates to the proposal to increase accessibility to public rights of way by replacing stiles with gates along suitable routes.
There has been no further progress with identifying suitable routes and it was decided not to progress further at this time.
6). Update on Keep Eccleshall Tidy Team (KETT) and ongoing concerns.
The KETT works are ongoing. The team pledged 18 bags of litter as part of the recent Great British Spring Clean. A litter pick was recently conducted near to the school and members noted the school car park was getting messy and detritus from trees was mixing with litter. Whilst not part of their route, some litter was removed but not all was accessible due to the build up of detritus. It was agreed to write to the school to advise them of the issue and request if they are able to clear the area.
There was no correspondence for consideration.
8). Items for next meeting
Items can be forwarded to the Clerk.
9). Date of next meeting:-
Wednesday 16th August 2023, at 7pm, Eccleshall Community Centre, prior to the Planning committee meeting.
The Chairman thanked those in attendance for their support.
There being no further business, the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 7.30pm.