Footpaths Committee Meeting
FOOTPATHS COMMITTEE AGENDA
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council Footpaths Committee will be held on Wednesday 1st February 2023, Eccleshall Community Centre, at 7pm.
2. To approve the minutes of the meetings held on November 2nd 2022
3. Review of current maintenance schedule, work completed to date and any new issues to consider
4. Footpath Walks leaflets:
- To provide any update on the circular walks project
- To consider if any current walks leaflets require reprinting
- To receive the response from Network Rail/Rights of Way regarding work on footpath 26
5. To provide an update regarding the proposal to increase accessibility to public rights of way by replacing stiles with gates along suitable routes.
6. Update on Keep Eccleshall Tidy Team (KETT) and ongoing concerns.
7. To consider a proposal for marking of Rights of Way within Bishops Wood
- None was received at the date the agenda was issued
9. Items for next meeting.
10. Date of next meeting – 3rd May 2023, at 7pm, Eccleshall Community Centre
S. J. Worden………
Clerk to the Council – 26/01/2023
ECCLESHALL PARISH COUNCIL – FOOTPATHS COMMITTEE
Wednesday, February 1st 2023
A meeting of the Footpaths Committee was held on Wednesday, February 1st, at 7pm at Eccleshall Community Centre.
Councillor R. Taylor (Chair) Councillor C. Wilkins
Councillor P. Jones Councillor S. Perren
Councillor S. Mifflin Councillor D. Hill
Mr. N. Davenport
Mrs S. J. Worden (Clerk)
Observer: Cllr. A. Reid.
1). Apologies:- Apologies were received from Cllr. Leather and Mr. Cole. Mr. Ranson was absent.
2). To approve the minutes of the meeting held on November 2nd, 2022.
The minutes, which had been previously circulated, were agreed and signed.
3). Review of current maintenance schedule, work completed to date and any new issues to consider.
The updated maintenance schedule was circulated for information prior to the meeting and works are ongoing. Any new issues can be forwarded to the Clerk.
4) Footpath Walks leaflets
- Update on the Circular Walks Project:- All walks have been completed by Cllr. Wilkins. Ten walks are in the process of being walked and checked by volunteers. 3 have already been completed and feedback received for review amendment of walks as required. 1 walk has been delayed as it includes Bishops Wood, and the route requires additional signage. Cllr. Wilkins and Mr. Cole will be walking the route to identify locations where additional signage is required. This will form a proposal for consideration by the County Rights of Way team (with a site meeting to be arranged) and Forestry England.
- 250 printed copies of the Borough Council Bench to Bench booklet have been received. These will be issued once stock of the council version has been depleted to avoid confusion, as the walk routes are the same.
- A number of the current individual walk leaflets require reprinting. It was agreed that Cllrs. Taylor and Wilkins will review the leaflets to see if they are fit for purpose and report back at the next meeting.
- In order to undertake the requested works to even out the path on footpath 26 to improve accessibility, Network Rail has advised that an application would need to be made to obtain formal approval which would cost an estimated £3000 to progress. This was deemed a prohibitive cost to the Council. It was agreed that it would be made clear on the walk description that part of the route includes a stretch that may be unsuitable for some walkers.
- 1 new footpath marshal has been recruited to fill a vacancy.
5). To provide any updates to the proposal to increase accessibility to public rights of way by replacing stiles with gates along suitable routes.
3 routes were suggested for further investigation and updates are as below:
- FP8 from Elford Heath to Copmere. Replacement of the stile at Hough Lane. Mr. Cole and Cllr. Wilkins to determine who owns the land. Ownership is still to be established.
- FP17 from Stone Road to Blurtons Lane – stile at Blurtons Lane end. The landowner has advised that he keeps the gate adjacent to the stile open for walkers to use. A gate could be installed but then he would lock the gate so no overall benefit will be obtained.
- FP13 from Shaws Lane to Johnson Hall, where the path starts at Shaw’s Lane. The landowner has declined the suggestion to replace the stile with a gate.
6). Update on Keep Eccleshall Tidy Team (KETT) and ongoing concerns.
The KETT works are ongoing. Members noted their efforts are noticeable and levels of litter are much reduced.
It was observed that 2 large cylinders of nitrous oxide (laughing gas) were found in the verge along Shaws Lane.
7). To consider a proposal for marking of Rights of Way within Bishops Wood
As discussed previously, Cllr. Wilkins and Mr. Cole will be walking the route next week to identify locations for additional signposting.
There was no correspondence for consideration.
9). Items for next meeting
Bishops Wood, Circular Walks and feedback on the current walks leaflets will be included. Additional items can be forwarded to the Clerk for consideration.
10). Date of next meeting:-
Wednesday 3rd May 2022, at 7pm, Eccleshall Community Centre, prior to the Planning committee meeting.
There being no further business, the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 7.30pm.