Enhancement and Preservation Committee Meeting
ENHANCEMENT AND PRESERVATION COMMITTEE AGENDA
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a meeting of Eccleshall Parish Council Enhancements and Preservation Committee will be held on Wednesday 4th January 2023 at Eccleshall Community Centre, after a meeting of the Planning Committee.
2. To approve the minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday, October 5th 2022.
3. To update on any outstanding remedial works arising from the assets inspections for 2022/23
- To consider and approve the cost of replacing the verge markers at Copmere picnic site
4. To receive an update regarding re-siting of the bench in front of the Star Café or any alternative locations.
5. To consider options for enhancing the parish:
- To consider the Lengthsman proposal, finalise the content of the draft specification, and if approved, recommend a budget allocation.
- To consider options for additional voluntary work to tidy the town area.
6. To consider a proposal from Staffordshire Wildlife Trust for the creation of additional ponds at Elford Heath to encourage Great Crested Newts.
7. To receive the annual inspection reports for Croxton Play area and the Outdoor Gym equipment and consider any actions arising.
8. To consider any feedback regarding signage or restrictions for dogs on leads on the open space off Bishops Court
9. To consider the tenders received for the renewal of the 2 year grounds maintenance contract 2023-2025 and recommend contractors for appointment.
- To consider resident correspondence requesting placement of a memorial bench at Elford Heath with all costs covered.
11. Items for next meeting.
12. Date of Next Meeting – February 1st, 2023, following the planning meeting.
S. J. Worden………
Clerk to the Council – 22/12/22
ECCLESHALL PARISH COUNCIL – ENHANCEMENTS AND PRESERVATION COMMITTEE – Wednesday, January 4th 2023
A meeting of the Enhancements and Preservation Committee was held on Wednesday, 4th January 2023 at Eccleshall Community Centre, at 8.30pm.
Councillor L. Dale (Chair) Councillor C. Wilkins
Councillor G. Dale Councillor P. Jones
Councillor D. Hill Councillor R. Taylor
Councillor R. Langford Councillor S. Perren
Mrs S. J. Worden (Clerk)
Observer: Cllr. A. Reid
Apologies were received from Cllr. J. Jones
2). Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday October 5th 2022:-
The minutes, which had previously been noted by the Council, were agreed and signed.
3). To update on any outstanding remedial works arising from the assets inspections for 2022/23
Asset repairs are ongoing. The work to reinforce the centre of the benches at Elford heath was noted as outstanding and the Clerk will obtain an estimated completion date.
· To consider and approve the cost of replacing the verge markers at Copmere picnic site
Members were provided with a number of options for replacement of the verge markers and it was resolved to recommend replacement of 4 markers with the same style of marker at a total cost of £52.31 plus VAT, plus a small installation charge to be confirmed.
4). To receive an update regarding re-siting of the bench in front of the Star Café or any alternative locations:-
The previous location at the Star Café is currently occupied with a bench from the Ecclian Bar, so there is no room at present.
An alternative option is to place the bench along the Eyeswell footpath in lieu of the current Ecclian seat which is deteriorating. The Clerk will enquire if this is a suitable proposal for the bench owners and if in agreement, check that the Ecclians are happy with this course of action.
5). To consider options for enhancing the parish:
- Consideration of the Lengthsman proposal. Members reviewed the lengthsman specification document and made some minor amendments to include cleaning and clearance of vegetation around milestones and footpath signs. It was clarified that the proposal is to engage the services of a company or self-employed contractor to undertake the duties as and when required and be paid by invoice, as opposed to recruiting an additional member of staff. It was resolved to recommend approval of the scheme and proceed with inviting tenders, with a recommended initial budget of £3000.
- To consider options for additional voluntary work to tidy the town area. A meeting is planned with representatives from HMP Drake Hall to look at ways of working together and this will be reported back to the committee in due course. Initial conversations are in relation to the town centre due to the proximity to Drake Hall and possible transport restrictions but other areas could be considered later if feasible.
6). To consider a proposal from Staffordshire Wildlife Trust for the creation of additional ponds at Elford Heath to encourage Great Crested Newts.
Members were provided with a proposal from SWT which outlines a plan to create 2 small ponds within the site to encourage Great Crested Newts. More than one pond ensures a resilient environment should any of the other ponds become compromised. The new ponds will be located in areas of current low ecological value and will not restrict/reduce existing public amenity use. Removal of willow scrub will be required, which will open up the site, increasing biodiversity and improving the overall look of the site. It is possible flooding towards the bottom part of the site will be reduced. It was confirmed that the work would not remove any of the healthy mature native trees. The Council would be given an annual grant of £500 for pond maintenance. All installation works and initial costs will be covered by SWT.
A question was raised with regards to bats and whether an increase in insect population associated with the pond might be of benefit. The clerk will ask the SWT officer for advice.
It was resolved to recommend approval for the project and to invite the Staffs Wildlife Trust representative to the Parish Council meeting on January 18th to discuss further details.
7). To receive the annual inspection reports for Croxton Play area and the Outdoor Gym equipment and consider any actions arising.
There was only one issue requiring immediate attention which was in relation to a loose signpost at the Community Centre outdoor gym, which was removed the same day for re-siting. There were no further items of concern identified. A minor repair to the play shed at Croxton was noted and will be undertaken.
8). To consider any feedback regarding signage or restrictions for dogs on leads on the open space off Bishops Court.
There has been no further feedback regarding signage.
9). To consider the tenders received for the renewal of the 2 year grounds maintenance contract 2023-2025 and recommend contractors for appointment.
6 contractors had submitted tenders for the grounds maintenance contract and members considered the comparative document provided by the Clerk to determine the best options.
After due consideration the committee resolved to recommend allocation of works as follows:-
Jacksons of Eccleshall:
- Elford Heath, triangle near Kerry Lane – x 10
- Offley Hay Village Hall – x 8
- Rose Bay Willow Herb (cutting back) – x 3
Trent Grounds Maintenance:
- Kerry Lane verge (bench site) x 10
- Washpits, Eyeswells footpath mowing, Croxton Play area, Bishops Court – fortnightly
- Picnic Site, Pump Site, Eyeswells strimming/hedge, 2 verges opposite Croxton play area – monthly
- Eyeswells and Bishops Court Hedge – annual cuts
- Footpath 13, Hartlands Rd alley – x 3
- Church St and Castle St. Verges – x 4
- Strimming of vegetation on wall, Stafford Road- x 3
- To consider resident correspondence requesting placement of a memorial bench at Elford Heath with all costs covered. At present there was no area of Elford Heath that was identified as a suitable location for another bench but this may change after creation of the additional ponds and could be reconsidered in 12 months’ time. The Clerk will advise accordingly.
11). Items for next meeting
- Update on the refurbishment and painting of the ex BT telephone boxes.
Any further items for consideration to be sent to the Clerk.
12). Date of Next Meeting:- February 1st, 2023, following the planning meeting.
There being no further business, the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 9.07pm.